Sunday, May 8, 2011

DIY Water Table

My toddler loves to play in water. I wanted to buy a water table for him because they looked like fun. I found a few online and in stores but they seemed expensive. I decided to search the web to see if I could find a less expensive option.



Step 2 Co. Arctic Splash Water Station 798400
Step2 Arctic Splash Water Table (This option is around $30.00)

My husband volunteered to build the water table. He is not a carpenter by any means and said it was easy and enjoyable to make.

Side View
The project cost us under $11.00 to complete. We used wood leftover from the previous home owners found in our basement. If you don't have any scrap wood you could ask at a construction site if you could take some of their extra pieces. The plastic tub is a cement mixing tub from Home Depot and was about $5.50. They had two different sizes in stock and we choose the smaller tub. I used leftover stain from my deck to protect the table from the elements.


During the winter we can bring the table inside and use it as a rice or sand table in our unfinished basement.

My son loves playing with the water table. I know it will get lots of use for many summers to come.



Materials and Supplies Needed:
Plastic cement mixing tub
Deck screws
1 2x6
1 2x4
Scrap piece of 1/2 plywood
Outdoor paint or stain (optional but recommended)
Sand Paper
Drill
Screwdriver
Saw



We found inspiration for our water table from these websites and blogs:




We are participating in  these link parties. 


What are your toddlers favorite outdoor toys? 

21 comments:

  1. FABULOUS idea!! I am going to have to show this to my husband to see if he will make one. Currently I am using a rubbermaid bin for a water table!! Great idea to make one.

    I would love for you to come over to my linky Party called Strictly Homemade Tuesday and link this project up and any future projects you may have!!

    great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea! I would totally do this if I didn't already have a water table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea. I'm going to share it with my daughter for the grands. Her husband is a contractor so boards shouldn't be an issue. You are so creative!

    New GFC follower from Skip the Housework.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooooo sweet! Funny, I just bought that Step 2 water table you posted above a couple of days ago! I wish I had seen this post first. Although, my hubby is not handy like that, so I'm not sure if we could have pulled it off. Great job! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I am going to follow you as I also have toddlers (twins) and am interested in what else you come up with! Would love for you to pop back and follow me too.

    Kerri
    mydecoratingaddiction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome--I totally want one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I've been wanting one for ages too. In our case, it's the outdoor space that's the problem as we just have balconies and I'm afraid they'll spill the water on the downstairs neighbours! haha!

    Would love for you to come over and link this to our new weekly Outdoor Play linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *THANK YOU!* We will be making this one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made such a prettier water table than the plastic kind. What great summer fun!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for linking up at Outdoor Play!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would love to have a water table, seems a great idea to try and build your own - although I'm not very handy at that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely fantastic!! I am a new follower and I would love if you linked this up to my Made by Little Hands Monday party!! Your link up is also an entry to a giveaway!! Hope to see you there!
    Have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! What a great idea. I'm super impressed. My kids would love this--it's a much better (and less messy) option to playing in the bathroom sink.

    ReplyDelete
  13. smart thinking! i've been wanting to get a water table for my kids ~ i'll have to show this idea to my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Used this idea as a jumping board and made this:
    http://craftingintherain.blogspot.com/2011/07/make-your-own-sand-table.html
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is it difficult to empty the water out when you want to change it or bring it inside? Great idea, but since it doesn't have a drain I was just wondering about this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a fun and simple way to create a water table for hours of fun! I just linked it up to our post about water fun with babies and toddlers. Thanks for sharing! http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2012/05/water-fun-with-babies-and-toddlers.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Additional uses for the water table off season:Legos or other building toys with lots of pieces!It keeps them contained but available to play and out from under grownups feet. I have also used it to keep finger paint in the tray and contained.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all of your great comments. This is still one of my sons favorite backyard toys.

    I hope this answers some of your questions:
    When the table is completely full of water it can be a bit hefty to tip over and drain but I've never had a problem doing to by myself. I chose not to install a drain so I could use the tub for other purposes throughout the year.

    At the end of the summer I cleaned out the tub with a scrub brush and dish soap. My son had fun playing in the bubbles and it only took a few minutes to do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. great idea for a sandbox too. i will be making one when the weather gets warm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there!
    I read your blogs it's very amazing and wonderful and I like and appreciate your blogs. Keep it the good worked. If you’re searching here and there to gift your kid and toy guns, there is no need to explore more because you’re at the right place! iBuyGreat is a renowned retail company selling toy guns for kids and many other toys.

    Special Offer: Get 23% Extra Discount Using "Win23" Code
    Toy guns

    ReplyDelete