Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Favorite Books for Babies

I am dying to purchase a few new books because I have largely memorized the majority of our board book collection. Here are a few of my sons favorite books at around 12 months old.  Even if you do not have children books make wonderful presents.

Inexpensive Bookshelves



Goodnight Moon Good Night Moon is a classic bedtime story.

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright & Early Board Books(TM)) I remember my mother reading Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb to me as a child. When I saw it in board book format I had to buy it. It has lots of rhyme and repetition as it follows a group of instrument playing monkey's.

Barnyard Dance! (Boynton on Board) Barnyard Dance is extra fun if you read it with the voice of a square dance caller.

 Moo Baa La La La Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton, was a quick favorite at our home. It's a quick read and a good introduction to a few animal sounds. Bad opera voices are a must for the singing pigs.

Animals (Baby Touch and Feel) Animals (Baby Touch and Feel) There is an entire series of Baby Touch and Feel books. I would make a few improvements and changes if I were in the publisher. However, my son has always enjoyed feeling the various textures on the pages of the books.

That's Not My Dinosaur   [THATS NOT MY DINOSAUR-BOARD] [Board Books]That's Not My Dinosaur   [THATS NOT MY DINOSAUR-BOARD] [Board Books] This is another touch and feel series my son enjoyed.

Where Is Baby's Belly Button? Where Is Baby's Belly Button? The Karen Katz books are a hit at my home. My son did rip off a few of the flaps but they were easily hot glued back on.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? has a singsong quality and introduces animals and colors. There are other books in this series but this is my favorite.

The Napping House (Board book) The Napping House is chock full of repetition and great illustrations.

Baby Cakes
Baby Cakes

These next few books are ones we do not personally own but are on our list to purchase because they consistently receive great reviews.

Pat the Bunny (Touch and Feel Book)
Pat the Bunny

Peek-A Who?
Peek a Who

Guess How Much I Love You
Guess How Much I Love You

Go, Dog. Go!: P.D. Eastman's Book of Things That Go
Go, Dog. Go!: P.D. Eastman's Book of Things That Go


What are your favorite books for babies and younger toddlers?

1 comment:

  1. What a great collection! I would have to agree with several of these listed. The Sandra Boynton are some of the best, aren't they?!!

    Thanks for linking this project up with For the Kids Fridays! I appreciate you stopping by, and hope to have you back for this week's party! I'll be posting it later tonight.

    :)rachel at SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete