Sunday, March 20, 2011

Garden Inspiration: A Guide to when to start planting your Vegetables

So this year I am starting out on a new adventure, I am planting my very first vegetable garden!  We have only lived in our home for a year, and last planting season came up on us to fast last year and we weren't able to plant anything.  So this year we are getting ready in advance, and I thought I would share with you about some tips about when to plant certain things.  I got them in a list of groups, so I will post them the same as I got the info.





Group A:  Hardy (plant as soon as the soil dries out in the spring)
Average planting date: March 15-May 1

Artichoke
Asparagus
Broccoli
Cabbage
Kohtrabi
Onions
Peas
Radish
Rhubarb
Spinach
Turnip

Group B: Semi-Hardy (Plant a week or two after "A" group or about two weeks before average last spring frost.)
Average Planting Date: March 20th-May 1st

Beet
Carrot
Cauliflower
Endive
Lettuce
Parsley
Parsnip
Potato
Salsify
Swiss Chard

Group C: Tender (Plant on the average date of the last spring frost-about when first apples reach full bloom.)
Average plating date: May 5th- June 1st

Celery
Cucumber
Dry Bean
Snap Bean Spinach
Summer Squash
Sweet Corn

Group D: Very Tender (Plant when the soil is warm, about two weeks after "C" group.
Average planting date: May 20th-June 10th

Cantaloupe
Eggplant
Lima Bean
Pepper
Pumpkin
Tomato
Watermelon
Winter Squash

Group E: Special Plants for Fall Harvest
Average planting dates

Beets July 1- August 1
Cabbage   May 1- July 15
Kale  July 1- August 15
Lettuce  June 1- August 1
Onion  August 1- August 10
Rutabaga  June 15- July 1
Spinach   July 1- August 15
Turnip  July 1- August 1

I hope this simple guide can help you like it helped me!  I am so excited to start my garden, and I will post pictures as it grows.  Anyone with some awesome gardening tips send them our way!

~Jessica


We are participating in some of these Link Parties. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these tips! I was thinking about trying to grow some vegetables this spring and your post has really helped me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips...I love my garden but know I plant too early sometimes because I get too excited to get my hands in the dirt. Plan this year is to do elevated garden beds.

    ReplyDelete