Friday, March 4, 2011

Celebration Inspiration: First Birthday

I knew I wanted to do something special for my son’s first birthday. The first year flew by faster than we could imagine. My tiny baby had turned into a jabbering, walking toddler. I found inspiration for the party at wonderful websites such as Kara's Party Ideas and One Charming Party. I loved pouring over the gorgeous party pictures featured there.  


Even though his birthday was in November I knew I didn’t want a fall theme. Once I choose the color scheme the party came together easily. I thought the red and aqua scheme looked young and fresh. I started planning early so I could pick up items inexpensively. I found many items at Dollar Tree, including the favor boxes, bubbles, ribbon, and glass vases. The polka dot table runner is actually just a yard of fabric draped across the table for extra color. I used my Cricut machine to tie the colors together and add a personal touch to everything. I already owned most of the serving items. The cupcake stands are actually cans from my pantry wrapped in paper with plastic plates stacked on top.          


 I was on a budget so I made many of the items for the dessert table. I choose things that could be made in advance because I did not want to be frantically baking the day of the party. We served crème Brule cupcakes, marshmallow pops, lemon bars, sugar cookies, and donuts. If I had to do the party again I would offer some savory items as well.   
  
My son’s nickname is “Bear” so I added a few bear items such as the shaped sugar cookies and cinnamon bears. I wanted it to be a subtle touch without bears taking over and becoming the party theme. I also filled the party favor boxes with Teddy Grahams. It was cheap and easy as well as being a snack our young guests could enjoy.    




I enjoyed putting the party together for my son. When Little Bear saw the table decorated he actually said “woah”.  The best part of the party was the family that came to celebrate with him. Who needs toys and cake when you have loved ones to play with you?    







Sources
How does your family celebrate birthdays?  

No comments:

Post a Comment