Monday, February 28, 2011

Home Inspiration: Inexpensive Wall Bookshelves

I had been looking for book storage that was functional, nice looking and inexpensive.





I first saw the idea for these wall bookshelves on Domestic Simplicity. These bookshelves are actually Ikea Bekvam spice racks. At $3.99 each they will not break the bank. The racks are solid wood and can be sanded and stained or painted.  I choose to spray paint my shelves with Rust-Oleum 243826 Lacquer Spray, Chinese Red, 11-Ounce.


The shelves were easy to hang and took less than a half hour. They are nicely sized (Width: 4 1/8" Height: 13/8" Length: 16 1/2") and will display a decent amount of books.


  


The books on the shelves are forward facing so my toddler can easily see which books he wants to look at.  I have noticed that we read more often because the books are easily accessible to him.  I placed the paperback books I do not want him to touch on the top shelf. You can change the book display to feature holidays, seasons and favorite subjects..  



 Thank you for the inspiration Domestic Simplicity.  We love our new bookshelves!

We participate in these link parties.
         

12 comments:

  1. that is a wonderful idea! i was thinking of making some shelves like that for my son, but using those would be just as inexpensive, and much less grief!
    ps- we loooove those how do dinosaur books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cleaver. I was looking a making something similar but this so much cheaper and easier by far. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific! Loving the bright red with all the books :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. NIIIICCCEE! I need about 50 of these:) Our book cases are overflowing....AHHHHHH!
    Thanks for sharing:)

    Jennie {Cinnaberry Suite}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great!!! I think I need some! :)
    I'd love to have you share at my For the Kids Friday Link Party! I'm sure you'll find some fun ideas while you are there! Come join the fun!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-kids-friday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! They make great bookshelves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW what a great idea. I would have never thought to use spice racks as bookshelves. Super cute.

    lauren @ warmfuzzypurpleandgold.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! I love these bookshelves! You have done a great job. The colour is wonderful.

    http://honeybeebooksblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. spice racks!!! No way! I LOVE this! It saves me construction pain and angst. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I featured this! Come grab a button!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing these at For the Kids Friday! I'll be posting the next link party tomorrow night. I am excited to see what you'll be sharing this week!

    :)rachel @ SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete